Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mandarin Orange Chicken over rice

I will give  you the recipe as I found it in an old church members recipe book and also the way I changed it to fit my life too.  This is from Feeding our Flock - First church of God

                                                          4 boneless chicken breasts/halved and skinned
                                                           2 tsp veg oil
                                                           1(11oz) can mandarin oranges, undrained
                                                            2 tbs brown sugar
                                                             1 tsp mustard
                                                             3 tbs catsup
                                                             1 tbs vinegar
                                                             1 tsp cornstarch
                                                             1/2 tsp cinnamon
                                                              1/8 tsp cloves

Add veg. oil to large skillet.  Place over med-high heat until hot.  Add chicken to skillet: cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lightly browned.  Drain oranges, reserving juice.  Set oranges aside.  Combine juice and remaining ingredients, stir well.  Pour over chicken.  Cover and simmer for 30 mins.  Add reserved oranges and simmer additional 5 minutes or until chicken is tender.  Serve over rice. 

Now here's my way for leftovers or just busy day -  I had 2  cooked breasts  leftover from night before.  I cut them up and warmed them with a little olive oil in a fry pan.  I also quick cooked some frozen broccoli and carrots in a sauce pan. I mixed the other ingredients just like it says except a little less - due to 2 breasts.  But not 1/2 I like saucy stuff.  And I had individual mandarin orange cups in the refridgerator, so I used those.  I treated the whole thing as a stir fry.  I poured the sauce over chicken reserving a little for the end if I needed it added the broccoli and carrots and simmered for 5 or so mins.  Then poured over some brown rice I previously cooked - choose whichever rice you like.  I enjoyed this and the cinnamon was just the right hint of spice.  I thought it was very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment